Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Batman



You know you loved it when Tony Stark ended his press conference at the end of Iron Man with “I am Iron Man.” Just a simple one line wrap-up avoided confusion, potential lies, and concern over secret identities. I would like to be able to say “I am Batman.” I am not.
 
As a kid, Adam West was Bruce Wayne to me. I was born at the right (or wrong) time to accept Batman as a campy and fun superhero that took up the challenges of fighting campy super villains, getting in an impossible escape situation, managing to escape despite that fact, and proving weekly (same bat time) that good will always triumph over evil. I was at the right age to appreciate that lesson, and there will always be a part of me that wants it that way.
 
As an adult, I enjoyed the darker Dark Knight from Tim Burton’s vision to Frank Miller and beyond. That is the hero I would like to be as long as I could rise above the temptation to turn to crime. Sure it would be cool to have the arsenal of super powers others have (everyone wants to fly, right?), but isn’t it somehow much cooler to be able to hang with those elite heroes without any special abilities beyond those you have achieved through discipline alone?
 
Imagine your escape!
                                                                                                                        ~ Chuck

No comments:

Post a Comment